Framework

The build is currently on hold because of ‘environmental’ reasons. The parts of the framework are ready to be coated with epoxy. I hope to able to continue in a few days …

framework_2

stem_5

transom_5

Transom and Stem

The framing for the transom has almost been completed. Two small corner blocks and the plywood cover for the center need to be installed. After that, I will chamfer the edges for the transom’s 15º rake and cut the slots for the keelson and the floor battens.

The slot for the keelson has been cut into the stem, and the inside edges have been rounded over.framework_1

stem_3

stem_4

transom_4

Stem and transom

The stem has been glued up. Next, I need to trim and cut the notch for the keelson. The aft edges will be rounded over with 1/2″ radius. I might also take off some material from the fwd edges with a chamfer-bit. This will save a little effort when fitting the planking later.

Some of the framing for the transom has been glued down. I have used quite a few 1-1/2″ SS countersunk screws as well. The heads of the screws are covered with epoxy and sanded flush.

stem_2

transom_3

Stem

The gussets for the frames have all been fitted, but some still need to be cut flush. I have widened the slots in the strong-back for the fwd frames to accommodate the gussets.

I have cut one of the side cover pieces for the stem from 3/4″ ply. The piece has been cleaned up, the edges have been sanded, and it will now serve as a pattern for the other cover and the hardwood core. Once glued up with epoxy, the stem will be 2-1/4″ thick ( 2 x 3/4″ ply,  with 3/4″ oak in between ).

jig_5

stem_1

Transom and gussets

After transferring the dimensions from a full-size drawing, which I made some time ago, I have cut the transom from a sheet of 19 mm (3/4″) ply. I have cleaned up the edges with a block-plane and the ROS. The transom is now ready for the forward framing and the doublers.

I have also made and glued the plywood gussets for frames #2 and #7. Given that the gussets are glued with epoxy, I have decided not to use any metal fasteners, i.e. screws. Screws would not contribute to strength against sheer forces because the timber would fail around the screws before the epoxy would give way. The outside edges of the gussets are yet to be buzzed flush using the router.

 

frames_12

frames_13

transom_1

Frame #4

All the notches for the keel and the bottom battens have been cut into the frames. The plywood panels for frame #4 are glued down and trimmed.

frames_10

frames_11

Frame #5

The notches for the keel and the bottom battens have been cut into frame #5. After some experimenting with the router, I decided to cut the notches by hand. Two quick cuts with the panel saw, and cleaning up the notches with chisels and sand paper, took only a few minutes each. I have also cut a couple of large holes on both sides of the frame. These will come in handy for electrics, steering / throttle cables, and the like. The top holes will be completely hidden under the deck and behind the coaming. Similar holes will be in frames #3, #4 and #6.

frames_9