Keelson (2)

The keelson has been glued to frames #4 – #6 and to the transom. The sticks clamped to the frames hold things square while the epoxy cures.



The keelson is fitted to the stem and frames #2 and #3. I have tapered the keelson fwd of frame #3 to the width of the stem (55 mm) before gluing down. The top edges have also been rounded over with a 1/4″ bit. The timbers (19 x 42 mm) for the chine logs and sheer clamps are glued together (scarfed) to make up the required lengths.




Frame #1

Frame #1 is attached to the stem. As with frame #2, I made small triangular ‘brackets’ to increase the glue area between the frame and the stem. Small epoxy fillets will be added to all of these joints.

The sheer clamps and the chine logs will be fitted next. I have decided to cut the notches into the forward frames using the sheer clamps and the chine logs to locate the correct positions for the notches. This will make it easier to get fair curves.



Stem (2)

The stem has a coat of epoxy, and the forward edges are chamfered with a 1/2″ bit. There will be more material coming off later when the stem gets faired for the plywood.

The stem has been fixed to frame #2. In addition to three SS screws, which are driven through the frame into the stem, there are 2 triangular hardwood ‘brackets’. All joints have been glued with thickened epoxy.



Framework (2)

The notches for the chine logs and the sheer clamps have been cut into the transom and the frames #4 – #6. These frames also had a coat of epoxy.




Cutting the notches for the keelson and for the battens in the transom was rather tedious. The transom is 1-1/2 (38mm) thick, and the keelson and battens meet the transom at 105°.

The next step will be to cut the notches for the chine logs and the sheer clamps into the frames.

Transom, frame #4

The transom (aft face) and the panels of Frame #4 have had a coat of water-based stain (Jarrah) and a first coat of epoxy.