Mast (2)

First I removed the ‘lid’ of the mast. I might mention here, that a couple of small drips of epoxy in the wrong place are not a good thing, when trying to remove the forward stave after gluing up the sides and the aft stave.

For the solid plugs at both ends of the mast I did not have enough Hoop Pine left. For the top I found a piece of Sassafrass (Atherosperma moschatum), not the North American Sassafras albidum, which was once used for treating Syphilis and Gonorrhoea, but I digress … The big end of the mast I filled with some bits of Tassie Oak – I found some clean material that was fairly lightweight. I wrapped some blocks in cling film for clamping things down.