After sanding the taped joint between the deck and the rear cabin panel, I cleaned up all the squeeze-out from the bulkheads and cleats on the underside of the deck. Access to the area is quite ok, so dusting, hoovering and rolling on a first coat of primer did not take much time. Everything will … Continue reading Cabin (cont.)
I have glued three bits of 6 mm ply together, with fibreglass fabric between the laminations. The gaff will be epoxied into the long square slot (1" wide). There will be a through-bolted double eye bolt/nut combo at the marked spot for the sail's throat and the throat halyard. Additionally there will a couple of … Continue reading Gaff jaws
After sealing the interior, the mast is now closed and glued up. I sanded all faces and trimmed both ends. After the edges are rounded over, I will take another inch off the top for a final length of 16'.
First I removed the 'lid' of the mast. I might mention here, that a couple of small drips of epoxy in the wrong place are not a good thing, when trying to remove the forward stave after gluing up the sides and the aft stave. For the solid plugs at both ends of the mast … Continue reading Mast (2)
After dry fitting the staves, the mast is now partially glued up. The back rests level on a few blocks and shims, and the sides are glued to the back and clamped. The forward stave of the mast is put on top to make sure that everything stays square while the epoxy is curing. The … Continue reading Mast
After sanding the lower hull ( bottom panels, top sides and transom ) with #80, I applied the 2nd 'filler' coat of epoxy to the bottom panels and the transom. The sanding took about 4 hours yesterday. I finally cut the rabbets (aka rebates) in the mast staves. I used a 8 mm straight bit in … Continue reading Filling the weave (2), mast staves
Quite a bit of work, but not much visible change ... Yesterday, after feathering and cleaning up all edges of the fibreglass fabric, I gave the bottom panels and the transom a coat of epoxy. This morning I gave these areas a quick sanding with #80 and I rolled another coat of epoxy onto the … Continue reading Filling the weave