Before the boat gets turned over ... here are a couple of pictures with sea-hood, tabernacle and bow-sprit in place. These are obviously not fixed to the boat.
The sea-hood and the rudder are now ready for installation, painting and/or varnishing, which won't be happening for some time. I made the (removable) tabernacle from 3/4" stock, Tasmanian Oak for the sides and Celery-top Pine for the rear board. The manual suggest that 3/4" is the minimum thickness for the sides (using Pine, Fir, … Continue reading Sea-hood, rudder and tabernacle
The sea-hood and slide have their first filler coat on the outside and have been prepared for one more coat of epoxy. The undersides of the hood and slide have all fillets applied and the fillets have been cleaned up. The upper hull is almost done now - just a bit more detailing around the … Continue reading More sanding
A short session today ... feathering the edges of the glass, shaping 'the handle', sanding, sanding, sanding, ...
The sea-hood and slide turn out to be a sizeable project in itself. After filling all holes from the temporary screws, I made the curved bit of timber that sits on top of the slide (aka 'the handle') and glued it down. These little bits of timber with beveled curves take a lot of time … Continue reading Sea-hood (4)
I glued the top onto the sea-hood last night. First thing today I cut the parts for the slide frame. The forward and aft curved pieces needed a bit of trimming to fit the companionway cutout - the patterns for the parts were about 1/4" too wide (or, the companion way cutout is 1/4" too … Continue reading Sea-hood (3)
The cleat for the sea-hood top is made and glued to the plywood top. The manual refers to this cleat as a 'trim', but it really gives the panel its shape and strength. I propped a bit of timber underneath the other end to (possibly) pre-warp the top. The other pictures illustrate the amount of … Continue reading Sea-hood (2)