Carlings and breasthook

First thing this morning I glued down the starboard sheer-clamp with some fairly thick mix to prevent runs and drips into the cabin. While the epoxy was curing, I installed the carlings for the cabin roof. I found two beautiful sticks of 19 x 38 ( 1/4″ x 1-1/2″) Silver Wattle in my stash of goodies. I rounded over the bottoms with a 1/4″ bit. Obviously, I had to enlarge the notches in bulkhead 2 to allow for the slightly oversize timbers. I made the cutouts to fit the profile of the carlings with the Dremel tool and they turned out to fit nicely. The other ends were cut to match the angle of the rear cabin and secured with a couple of 1-1/2″ SS  screws, which are countersunk and completely embedded in goo.

Next I bevelled the two lower rails for the seat-backs. This exercise took about 15 minutes with a little handplane. These stringers (and the others) are made from clean Tasmanian Oak, and they bend nicely into shape with little risk of snapping in half. The aft ends needed a bit of clamping down, as you can see in one of the photos.

After lunch the epoxy of the sheer-clamp had cured enough to take all the clamps off. I  rounded over the aft edges, top and bottom, of the upper breasthook.  I secured it with a big clamp, and drilled and countersunk holes for six 1-1/2″ SS screws. The breasthook is permanently installed with the screws and some thickened epoxy, with a bit of wood flour for colour. The visible ugly dark patch is just some of the tinted squeeze-out which I managed to spread around when I was trying to scoop it up with a paint scraper. The sander will take care of that …

IMG_0668IMG_0669IMG_0670IMG_0672IMG_0673