Long timbers

I have made some progress with the spars. The scarfs for the staves (Hoop Pine) of the mast  are done. I was thinking about building a jig for the router, but in the end I cut the scarfs with a panel-saw and cleaned them up with a small block-plane. That took no more than a couple of hours. I won’t glue these up until it gets a bit warmer.

The boom (on the right) is shaped and cleaned up. I had to fill a couple of dings and a small knot with epoxy. Once this has cured and has been sanded flush, I will round over the long edges with a 1/2″ bit. I am still waiting for the chamfering bit to get the bow-sprit (2nd from right) finished.

IMG_0440